App Challenge Cebu 2016: Helping children read and write in Cebuano
Globe—in partnership with Molave Development Foundation, IREX, & Beyond Access—is spearheadingApp Challenge Cebu 2016, a hackathon that empowers developers to create educational Android apps teaching K-3 students about reading and writing in Cebuano.
1. Form a group with 3-4 members who are in or near Cebu (participants are expected to shoulder travel costs associated with the competition). At least 1 member must be fluent in Cebuano.
2. The designated team leader is in charge of the team’s registration. Registration is free.
3. Teams may register at http://bit.ly/AppChallengeCebu2016 and submit your proposal by November 10,2016 Submit your Project Proposal in a document of 2 pages or less in PDF format. It should explain:
• How the android app will respond to the required functionality
• How the android app will appeal to the target audience of K-3 children and their parents
• Any additional features or ideas you’d like to include in order to achieve the app’s learning objectives
Illustrations and graphics that depict your concept are encouraged.
4. An email confirming the team’s registration will be sent to the team leader.
5. The Top 5 qualifiers will be announced on November 11.
6. The Top 5 qualifiers will be invited to attend a 1-day online workshop on November 14. The online workshop will be conducted via Brightspace. Technology and learning experts from Globe, UP Open University, Molave Development Foundation, and IREX will also be participating in the online workshop to help mentor the qualifying teams.
7. The Top 5 qualifiers may use Globe Labs APIs (SMS, Voice, Charging, Sponsored Access, Location-Based Services) to create their app. Register with Globe Labs at http://www.globelabs.com.ph/community to access the APIs.
8. Ensure that your app is in live Beta version – 70% completed – on or before face-to-face Pitch Day in December in Cebu.
9.Winning android apps are expected to be completed by March 31, 2017, and must be published to Google App Store for free.
•1st Prize: Php 100,000 for the winning team & a special gadget for each team member
•Participants: tokens, & prizes up for grabs for all HackEd Cebu participants
• Features – 30%
• Quality of the Design – 15%
• Feasibility / Sustainability – 15%
• Appropriateness (content, learning outcomes) – 30%
• Uniqueness – 10%
App 1: Vocabulary – Beginning Readers (1st grade)
• Teaches Cebuano alphabet
• Asks child to write letters
• Teaches new words/builds vocabulary
• Reads words aloud
• Asks child to repeat words and read them
• Matching between pictures and words
• Asks child to build short words up from letters
• Asks child to place letter in correct space in word (place ‘a’ in _pple or ‘n’ in ‘ba_ana’)
• family members
• body parts
DATES TO REMEMBER:
• Registration and Project Proposal Submission Deadline: November 10
• Announcement of Top 5 Teams: November 11
• Brightspace Online Workshop: November 14
• Prototype Development: November 15 to December 2016
• Pitch & Awarding: December 2016
CONNECT WITH US!
• For queries about tApp Challenge Cebu 2016, please email us at Hack_Ed_Cebu2016@molavefoundation.org